legal services

One important difference between a non-immigrant visa and an immigrant visa is the duration of stay in the United States allowed under the particular visa. A non-immigrant visa allows a foreign national to enter the United States for a temporary period, and an immigrant visa grants the holder the right to reside and work in the United States permanently.

With a non-immigrant visa, a foreign national can enter the United States temporarily as tourists (B-2), business visitors (B-1), students (F-1, M-1), temporary workers (H-1B, L-1, etc.) or for a variety of other reasons. These temporary visas are issued at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad. Some non-immigrant visa categories are subject to annual quotas, for example, the H-1B visa; however, most are unrestricted in number.

Immigrant visas grant the holder the right to legally reside and work in the United States permanently, and are known as lawful permanent residents. An immigrant visa can be obtained either in the United States or abroad at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. An immigrant visa can be obtained through employment or family sponsorship, or if one qualifies under special circumstances. Additionally, a number of immigrant visas each year are granted to investors/entrepreneurs, refugees, highly educated individuals and U.S. Department of State Diversity Lottery winners. The number of immigrant visas issued each year is subject to an annual quota on each category. Wait times for obtaining an immigrant visa depends on which category one qualifies for.

Each case presents a unique set of circumstances and our experienced attorneys can analyze and explore the proper visa options and choices for your goals.

Nonimmigrant Visas

  • B1/B2 Visas - Business Visitors / Tourist
  • E1/E2 - Treaty Trader / Investors
  • F - International Students
  • H-1B - Professionals
  • H-1C - Nurses
  • H-2A - Agricultural workers
  • H-2B - Seasonal temporary workers
  • H-3 - Trainees
  • J - Exchange visitors
  • K-1 - Fiancés & Fiancées
  • K-2 - Unmarried dependents of K-1s under age 21
  • K-3 - Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • K-4 - Unmarried dependents of K-3s under age 21
  • L1A/L1B - Intercompany Transferees
  • M - Language and vocation students
  • N - NATO employees
  • O - Extraordinary ability aliens
  • P - Athletes, entertainment groups and support personnel
  • Q - Cultural exchange visitors
  • R - Religious Workers
  • S - Criminal informants
  • T - Victims of international trafficking in persons
  • TN - Canadian and Mexican Professionals
  • U - Victims of spousal or child abuse
  • V - Spouses and minor children of legal permanent residents

Immigrant Visas

  • Employment-Sponsored
    • Foreign Permanent Labor Certification (PERM)
    • Multinational executives and managers
    • Religious workers
    • Nurses and physical therapists
    • Exceptional Ability Aliens
  • Family Sponsored
    • Husband / Wife
    • Parents
    • Children
    • Brothers / Sisters
    • Adoption
  • Other
    • Investors / Entrepreneurs
    • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
    • Diversity Lottery

Citizenship & Naturalization

United States citizenship is gained by birth in the United States or through naturalization. Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress. The general requirements for naturalization include: a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States, the ability to read, write, and speak English, a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government, good moral character, attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and a favorable disposition toward the United States.

>> Read Our Disclaimer


Have Questions About
Working in the United States?

All foreign workers must obtain permission to work legally in the United States...
>> read more

Sponsoring a Family Member?
The United States promotes family unity and allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to national after he or she fulfills...
>> read more

Becoming a U.S. Citizen?
Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills...
>> read more

Ling & Su, LLP
2033 Gateway Place, Suite 500
San Jose, CA 95110
Main: 408-441-1330 | Fax: 408-493-0095

Ling & Su, LLP
619 14th Street
Modesto, CA 95354
Phone: 209-622-1216 | Fax: 209-622-1214

Home  |  Our Firm  |  Legal Services  |  Resources  |  Contact Us  |  Sitemap